Saturday, January 30, 2010

Introductions Go at the Beginning

Dear Readers,

As anyone who teaches knows, an effective piece of writing has a exciting beginning that captures the readers attention and bring them into the story. It will explain to the reader what the piece is going to be about and what the reader can expect. Thus it only seems fitting that I do the same with my new blog site.

I've decided to start blogging because it turns out I have a lot of ideas that I feel need to be shared, and while I can't guarantee anyone will read my thoughts, I could never guarantee anyone would listen to me say them either, and so why not? As I started reading a few blogs, it appeared that blogging seems to be the "cool thing to do" for people who have opinions. And that's when the light bulb went off in my head, "Hey! I have opinions! And I like doing things that are cool! I should blog about my ideas!" And so it begins.

You must understand something about me before you decide to subscribe to my ramblings or not. I am one of the fortunate few who absolutely loves what my job is: teaching. I love it so much that it has become who I am; it has integrated itself into who I am as a person. Education is my passion, my hobby, my job, my career, my interest... my life. Because of this reason, most posts on this blog are going to be education related. It can't be helped, if you want to know what's going on in my life then you'll need to know what's going on in education.

The other reason that most posts here will relate to education is because I have found there is a severe shortage of actual classroom teachers who are talking about what is happening in the teaching world, and of those classroom teachers who are talking about their ideas, strategies, struggles and triumphs, even fewer come from the elementary. I fear there is an information shortage coming from the early grades about what is going on in the lives of 5-11 year olds and that we need to throw our ideas/thoughts into the educational stew as well, or else we're going to be left with an school structure that will be hard to swallow.

So you can expect to hear actual, true, real, and thought out views on what is happening in schools from the perspective of the elementary classroom. Because if you really want to know what is going on with teaching and what can be done to improve our schools, the answer is elementary, my dear readers.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I had an education related blog post the other day but it won't let me post the URL here. You'll just have to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, My name is Monica and I am in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed reading you blog and agree that while I am majoring in secondary, there is in fact a shortage of teachers not talking about what is going on in their classrooms (elem., high school, and college). I hope to be one of the exception because, like you, my life is woven through my love of education. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete